Searching...

favourite books

Created by Hesperus, 4 mo 5 d ago.

if you like to read books which are your favorites?... here are my favorite books:

The Silmarillion | The Children of Húrin | The Book of Lost Tales | Morgoth's Ring | The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien.
The Dunwich Horror | The Call of Cthulhu | At the Mountains of Madness by H. P. Lovecraft
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson
Small Gods by Terry Pratchett
The Gunslinger by Stephen King
The Stormlight Archive" by Brandon Sanderson
The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan.
Dracula by bram stoker

Comments

Jonas
Jonas 24 d
favourite books
22 months member
not now. but soon I will make a my collection of books and start reading them.
xrpl320
xrpl320 25 d
favourite books
47 months member
Wow, I see you've read plenty of (High) Fantasy literature.

I've read and enjoyed many many of those, too. In addition to those you've listed - I haven't read all of them myself - here's some more of that genre which I did read and which I enjoyed enough to include in my favorite books:

(1) Journey to the West

Read this and you'll find many of its ideas being reused in modern (mostly Eastern - Asian) literature like manga, anime, video games.

By itself, it's a very good read, also one of the earliest novels which could easily be classified as "High Fantasy" thanks to its much magic, dragons / fantastic creatures, heroic fights etc.

(2) In addition to those you listed, The Dreams in the Witch House / The Whisperer in Darkness are two more of Lovecraft's best stories, in my opinon (I've read most of his works).

(3) A Wizard of Earthsea

The first good novel of the Earthsea cycle, about a young wizard studying at a school and later being chased by a kinda "scary" supernatural being. Probably a novel which inspired e.g. Harry Potter. The sequels are very good too.

(4) The NeverEnding Story

(5) Harry Potter

... + several Light Novels & Web Novels with a (High) Fantasy Setting (e.g. TenSura, Douluo Dalu, ...=

... + and innumerable number of books from and about most mythologies + fairy tales (arabian nights, grimm's) of the world (esp. Greek Norse, Mesopothamian, Egyptian, Christian, etc etc).

... + plenty of classic literature ofc (esp. Shakespeare, Goethe ...)

... + of course I also enjoyed Tolkien's Books & Chronicles of Narnia, like you did

I'm ALWAYS trying to add more and more works of all sorts of fiction to my knowledge.

The more I know, the more easily I can compare, and find similarities, and avoid bias for (and against) particular genres

High Fantasy is definitely also a genre I read & enjoyed A LOT.
Last edited: 25 d ago.
jo
favourite books
7 months member
There are a lot of books which I like, and it's hard to say which ones are my favourite. Each book I've read lately has something special, and I liked each differently. Right now, I'm reading mostly educational books because I need to improve my skills before the semester starts. I especially need to get better in the economy and finances. I'm reading Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt, and it's so good. I also have to write a lot of papers, and pretty often, I use the help of https://essays.edubirdie.com/economics-assignments because the tasks can be so hard, and the information is not that easy to analyze. So, when I have time, I try to read related literature.